November 26th, 2019
Start of job action by Waterloo elementary teachers, occasional teachers and Designated Early Childhood Educators:
The Elementary Teachers ‘ Federation of Ontario (ETFO) will begin labour action in public schools across Ontario on Tuesday, November 26, 2019. We know that as parents and caregivers, it is important for you to know how this situation may affect your child so we are providing you with an update.
Beginning on Tuesday, November 26, 2019, ETFO has directed its members to “work-to-rule” on administrative issues. As such, there will be limited impact on students. Under this direction from ETFO, elementary teachers and education workers will not:
- Participate in any school board or Ministry of Education professional learning offered outside of the instructional day
Participate in any EQAO–related activities
- Complete any surveys/data collection activities (except for what ETFO members deem is necessary for their own reporting requirements)
- Participate in school board activities on Professional Activity (PA ) Day
- Attend staff/division/grade team meetings
- Undertake the role of ‘Teacher in Charge
- Complete Term 1 Report Cards – teachers will provide the school administrator with a class list of marks for the various subjects/strands taught, or one brief comment per frame for the Kindergarten Communication of Learning
Our priority remains for the safety of our students and we want you to clearly understand the status of our schools during any labour action. We will continue to monitor the situation and its impact on elementary students, and will keep you updated as the situation changes. To find out the status of schools during labour action:
Visit our Labour website and subscribe to receive updates;
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Use the Labour Updates button on the WRDSB and school websites
As a board, we respect our elementary teachers, occasional teachers and Designated Early Childhood Educators and value their work with students. We remain committed to reaching fair, negotiated agreements with all of our employee groups. Thank you for your patience, support and understanding.