September 8th, 2020
We are excited to finally welcome your children back to school. Our staff have been working tirelessly to prepare the school for their arrival. Please take a few minutes to look over the following important items in order to ensure that proper health & safety protocols are followed and you are adequately informed.
- All updates can be found on our school website. In order to subscribe to new posts, simply scroll down to the bottom of the page and hit “subscribe” once you have entered your email address. You can also expect a personal contact by your child’s teacher this week, at which point you may ask any specific questions about this year’s start-up
- Prior to coming to school, we ask all parents to perform a daily student screening for COVID-19. More information can be found on the board’s Health and Safety guide
- Access to school will be restricted to visitors (including parents/guardians) except in the case of emergencies. As such, typical lunch drop-offs will not be possible. In the case where a child requires food, we have a regular supply of snacks thanks to Nutrition for Learning
- We will be following the principles of a Boomerang Lunch where all uneaten food, wrappers and receptacles will be returned home for disposal
- Students will be entering and exiting the school from various doors in order to assist with physical distancing. These procedures will be explained by their teacher in detail. On the first day, all students will be met by their teachers outside the south entrance (closest to Avenue Road), unless told otherwise through in-person communication. We appreciate your patience as we work through a staggered entry, which will begin at 9:00; we will aspire to have the staggered exit completed by 3:20
- We ask that you make every effort to avoid late arrivals so as to minimize the congestion in the main office area
- We are asking that students arrive with a very minimal amount of items, as these will be kept with them at all times while in class. One backpack with a lunch and snacks, a pre-filled refillable water bottle, a face mask and, if available, a small unscentedhand-sanitizer (not in spray form). If possible, we encourage students to bring an additional mask should the first one become unusable. Students will not require an additional pair of shoes so we ask that their worn shoes are comfortable and appropriate for some physical activity throughout the day. Gym clothes will not be required at this time
- Masks must be worn at all times indoors, except when eating. While students are outdoors playing, masks may be removed as long as they respect physical distancing guidelines. Masks need to be kept on each person (in pocket or slipped onto arms) at all times
- All necessary school supplies will be provided by the teacher, school and the WRDSB. There is no need to send your child to school with any supplies
- Regular handwashing and/or sanitizing will be scheduled into the day by your child’s teacher
Thank you for your assistance and understanding. With everyone’s collective support, we will be able to maintain a safe and positive learning environment for all.
Your partners in education,
Mr. M. Lehmann, Ms. K. Sleeman and the Avenue Road team